Lisa Bagwell is an artist; she studied Ecology at Rutgers University in 2000. With knowledge about the environment, Lisa makes her art from found objects and waste material. She started her work 15 years ago, gluing and attaching pieces together to build sculptures and artworks of animals, people, food, nature, etc. Her pieces are mostly made from plastic collected from her daily surroundings as well as with items from her family and friends who know that she creates art from waste.
Bagwell is a self-taught artist and always loved to work with hands. She uses only discarded materials collected from the beach and the households of about 20 people and does not use paint or brand new materials.
Her collections are kept organised and purged until a project presents itself or when a piece is finished finding placement as its a great challenge. Some of her work is kept on display in her garden where she works. Otherwise, she keeps her sculptures in her apartment or in her mom’s condo or in a dark finished basement with cave crickets awaiting the next show.
As her collections grow, she thinks of project and with simple tools constructs subjects that hold her atAs her collections grow, Lisa is planning for newer projects and with simple tools to construct subjects that hold her attention, mostly wildlife, food and people. Bagwell also creates art from bottle caps. She displays her work in local art galleries, public spaces, art festivals and for environmental organisation.
Lisa’s work is an example and a symbol which creates environmental awareness, instills sensitivity towards nature and every thing valuable on our planet. As the oceans are flooded with discarded wastes by humans, Lisa and her art stands as a constant reminder for all of us, the planet is not a trash bin.
Gallery shows and special exhibits.
- Atlantic Highlands Arts Council (Special long term “covid Window” display Spring 2020)
- Belmar Arts Center Belmar, NJ
- Monmouth Museum Lincroft, NJ
- Brooklyn Waterfront Artist Coalition (BWAC): Recycle Show 2016-2019
- Hamilton Street Gallery Bound brook, NJ
- Solo Exhibit with Races Cultural Center Highland Park, NJ
- Morris Museum: “Toying with Art” Exhibit
- Art Alliance, Red Bank, NJ: Various Exhibits and Invitational.
- Chelsea International Fine Arts Competition special recognition.
- Artworks Group exhibit, “Old’s Cool” Trenton, NJ.
- Sculpture: Outdoor urban sculpture exhibit, Long Branch, NJ.
- Viridian Artists International Juried Exhibition, NY, NY.
Environmental shows and other work.
- Zero Waste Festival, Sandy Hook, NJ. Resident artist, exhibitor.
- Clean Ocean Action, Sandy Hook , NJ. Festival and special events exhibitor.
- Teen Arts Festival Lincroft , NJ. Found objects workshop teacher.
- Belmar Arts Council, found object workshops
- NJ Sea Grant Consortium, workshops.