Federal Judge Blocks Trump’s Immigrant-Visa Ban for 75 Countries

August 23, 2026
1 min read
Federal Judge Blocks Trump’s Immigrant-Visa Ban for 75 Countries
Federal agents at the Hyundai-LG battery plant raid in Bryan County, Georgia, September 2025. Photo: karmactive archive.

A federal judge in New York ruled Friday that President Trump’s ban on immigrant visas for 75 countries was unlawful and ordered it stopped. The decision reopens a green-card path for families from dozens of nations that the administration had shut in January.

Judge Jeannette Vargas of the US District Court for the Southern District of New York found the suspension “patently unlawful” and said Secretary of State Marco Rubio exceeded his authority under immigration law. The ban, which took effect January 21, 2026, blocked immigrant-visa applications from Brazil, Colombia, and Uruguay in Latin America; Bosnia and Albania in the Balkans; Pakistan and Bangladesh in South Asia; and dozens of African, Middle Eastern, and Caribbean nations.

The ruling is limited to immigrant visas—the kind used for permanent residency. Tourist and student visas remain unaffected. But the reach is large: the Cato Institute estimates nearly 9 out of 10 African applicants for green cards and about 4 out of 10 Asian applicants fell under the ban. The broader crackdown on legal immigration has played out across several Trump administration actions this year, including new birthright citizenship orders and an expanding use of the Alien Enemies Act for deportations.

Vargas pointed to an internal State Department cable as the core problem. The cable told US consular officers abroad to refuse immigrant visas automatically—even when an applicant passed the required “public charge” review that checks whether someone might need government assistance. “The outcome is predetermined,” Vargas wrote. “The visa will be refused.” The Associated Press reports the ruling is the latest instance of courts blocking the administration’s immigration agenda, and court records published by JURIST show Vargas called the policy “a direct abrogation” of the statutory scheme.

The lawsuit was brought by the Catholic Legal Immigration Network, a charity that helps immigrants, and African Communities Together, along with US citizens who said they were being separated from family members in Ghana, Ethiopia, Jamaica, and Guatemala. The State Department said it would not comment on pending litigation.

The Trump administration can appeal Vargas’s decision. Both sides have until September 11 to propose how the court should fix the problem—whether to reopen rejected applications or reinstate visas. The ruling struck down a policy that had been in force for roughly eight months.

Govind Tekale

Embarking on a new journey post-retirement, Govind, once a dedicated teacher, has transformed his enduring passion for current affairs and general knowledge into a conduit for expression through writing. His historical love affair with reading, which borders on addiction, has evolved into a medium to articulate his thoughts and disseminate vital information. Govind pens down his insights on a myriad of crucial topics, including the environment, wildlife, energy, sustainability, and health, weaving through every aspect that is quintessential for both our existence and that of our planet. His writings not only mirror his profound understanding and curiosity but also serve as a valuable resource, offering a deep dive into issues that are critical to our collective future and well-being.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Bihar School Serves Detergent Instead of Salt in Midday Meal
Previous Story

Bihar School Serves Detergent Instead of Salt in Midday Meal

Trump Threatens Iran With ‘Economic D-Day’ as China Rejects the Pressure
Next Story

Trump Threatens Iran With ‘Economic D-Day’ as China Rejects the Pressure

Latest from News

Don't Miss

Trump Threatens Iran With ‘Economic D-Day’ as China Rejects the Pressure

Trump Threatens Iran With ‘Economic D-Day’ as China Rejects the Pressure

President Trump threatened Iran this week with what