JSSC-CGL Exam Cancellation: 2,000 Successful Candidates Protest as Government Scraps All TDPL Tests Since 2014
Around 2,000 successful candidates of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination protested outside the Jharkhand Secretariat on Tuesday, fearing that the state government’s decision to cancel the exam could cost them their jobs.
“Tell us our crime. Don’t throw us out,” one of the candidates said, as quoted by news agency PTI, capturing the anger and uncertainty among those who have already been appointed to government posts.
The Jharkhand government on Monday night announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and all recruitment tests conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) since 2014, following sustained student protests.
The decision to cancel all TDPL-conducted tests since 2014 marks a significant escalation from the earlier announcement that only addressed the immediate exam controversy. The move affects multiple recruitment cycles conducted over the past 12 years.
Hunger Strike Ends, But Protests Continue
Student activist Devendra Nath Mahto ended his 16-day hunger strike after the government agreed to cancel the exam. However, protesters say they will not call off demonstrations until India’s premier investigative agency begins probing alleged malpractices in other recruitment exams.
Mahto ended his fast in the presence of state ministers at a hospital in capital Ranchi, where he was admitted last week after his health deteriorated. He was one of the faces of the protests, which began on 25 July after job-seekers and students alleged irregularities in government recruitment exams.
Fresh Concerns
Student leader Umme Habiba demanded clarity on the CBI probe timeline, stating that the government’s assurances lacked concrete commitments. “Hemant hai toh Himmat hai,” she said, indicating the ruling coalition’s ability to take bold decisions.
Police fired tear gas at protesters seeking exam reforms, indicating escalating tensions despite the government’s concession on the primary demand.
The Bigger Picture
The cancellation affects candidates who had already been appointed based on the contested exams, creating uncertainty over their employment status. The government has not clarified the fate of these appointees, leaving thousands in limbo.
The controversy highlights the recurring issue of recruitment irregularities across Indian states, where millions of candidates compete for limited government positions each year.